Top 10 Phone Interview Tips to Land Your Dream Job
Your resume is no doubt stellar, and your application was impeccable beyond question. You have probably caught a potential employers’ attention. Now they want to get to know you better about the job, yourself and for the other things that are relevant to know about the position.
Many years have gone and that would have meant a personal interview but now time, increasing hustle and bustle digital world, most of the preliminary as well as some final interviews are about to happen with a variety of mediums including over the phone.
Phone Interview Tips to Follow
A phone interview normally allows the hiring manager to gauge if you are fit for an in person or face to face interview for further round. However, you may think that a phone interview allows you to wing it up from the very first comfort of your own house. Most of the same type of principle of face-to-face interview come into play over the phone call.
Albeit the smaller nuances outlined here and these could be your best tips to ace the job you dreamt of for a long time. Many people often say that we generally talk on the phone and not in person. This is really amazing. Let us discuss the phone interview tips that you like to know to land a job.
Read: 12 Steps To Successful Job Interviews To End Your Job Search and Get Hired
- Preparation for Time – You should confirm all the details during the interview beforehand. This is good, because you do not know if make a mess and omit some information, you may lose your job and another one will get it.
Please Read: How to Research Companies You Want to Work For
- Keep a Paper Nearby – Many people do not use paper and pen when they work with computer, so they generally do the handful job with computer using a notepad and or word pad. Same thing occurs over the phone interview. Some job candidates do not use paper nearby while taking with managers in an interview over the phone.
- Dress Up Properly – You may ask a question – why and what is the reason to dress up properly when you are talking over the phone in an interview? The answer is simple. If you are asked to on your laptop or chat with your interviewer through audio video mode, then your dress up would be appropriate.
Also See: 4 Helpful Tips For Video Interviews No One Will Tell You This!
- Run Through A Refresher – One of the biggest things in an interview over the phone is showing the past projects to your interviewer. This will not only help you to make a good look or smart work on your past projects, and judge you by them whether you are perfect for the job.
- Cut Out the Distraction Properly – If you are married and have children or pets inside the room when you are talking in the interview over the phone, you should lock the door properly to cut out the distraction.
- Set a Rules for Drinking and Eating – You should never drink, eat or chew bubble gum during the telephone interview. This is not a good manner. This is effect over your body language and your interviewer may understand you are doing something while giving the interview and your impression would be down.
- Pay End-to-End Attention On Your Body Language – It is good to pay attention on your body language. It is not only mandatory to maintain when you are giving face-to-face interview but also necessary when you are giving interview over the phone. At least simile, sometimes will help your interviewer about the job enthusiasm.
- Watch Your Words – Make your word concise and elaborate, so that your interviewer can understand what you are talking about the project or the designation. Speak enunciate and slowly during the telephonic interview.
- Wait for Your Turn – Do not make a mess while talking, like do not interrupt the interviewer. Do not hurry or talk over the sentence when your interviewers are talking. Let him or her finish talking and then you start talking slowly. Let him or her take time and you take time at the same time.
- Try to pause in time and tract fully – If you need to gather some information for a difficult question asked by the interviewer, you can make a track pause that you are thinking of it and not giving a ramble answer, or you can smartly ask them another question and giving a neutral answer.
Last, but certainly not the least, the objective of a phone interview is to secure or land a job when a person is not present in the interview. One of the best ways to wrap up an interview over the phone is to give thanks to the interviewer – once the end of the call.
Pallavi is a Hiring Director at Alliance International –an IT Recruitment Agency. She specializes in helping with international recruiting, staffing, HR services and Careers advice service for overseas and international businesses.
- Top 10 Phone Interview Tips to Land Your Dream Job - July 4, 2017
One thought on “Top 10 Phone Interview Tips to Land Your Dream Job”
Really informative article. Thanks for Sharing.
Keep the good work”